Composition shingles protect homes from the brunt of weather and sunlight, yet they are not the only line of defense. Underlayments play the crucial role of secondary layer of protection beneath the shingles. During heavy storms, wind can push rainwater up the lower side of the shingles, or ice can pack and seep beneath them. Shingles are naturally resilient against these issues, yet they can deteriorate over time or they may not be installed correctly. Without an underlayment, moisture would reach the roof deck substrate and begin to rot the structure.
In the past, felt paper was the most popular type of underlayment. It is still used today, but synthetic underlayments have been quickly growing in the market because they solve a handful of the issues associated with felt paper. The most robust of these synthetic underlayments that we’ve worked with is GAF’s Tiger Paw™. Its improvements over felt paper are numerous:
- Safety: Specially designed walking surface that allows safe installation on many slopes that felt paper does not. Its light weight reduces the potential for hazard during install.
- Aesthetics: Resists buckling and wrinkling that can misalign shingles.
- Strength: Has at least 600% the tear strength as heavy duty 30# felt paper.
- Longevity: Maintains integrity without disintegrating like felt paper.
- Durability: Can withstand UV degradation for up to 6 months.
- Versatility: Applicable for most types of roofs.
When using Tiger Paw™ synthetic underlayment instead of felt paper, a GAF lifetime roofing system may be eligible for the best warranty in the business: the Golden Pledge. It covers misapplication for up to 30 years as well as labor and material costs of repair for material defects for up to 50 years. A full system of GAF products installed by a Master Elite® contractor is required for this incredible GAF warranty. We’re one of the select contractors who do these for every customer we re-roof with GAF materials.
Safeguard your roof from unexpected extreme weather events with Tiger Paw™ synthetic underlayment! It’s so dependable that we use it for all of our GAF installations. Call CHASE CONSTRUCTION NORTH WEST, INC. today at 253-445-8950 for a 100% free estimate or fill out our online quick estimate form. We want to install a roof for you that will withstand the harshest of storms for decades to come!