Metal roofing has been an emerging and sustaining trend in the roofing industry, and with its’ many benefits, this is no surprise. Equipped with durability and aesthetic factors, metal roofing is a viable and sustaining option for both residential and commercial projects. Here we will expound on the many perks of metal roofing versus the standard asphalt shingle.
1. Asphalt shingles need replacing every 8-15 years. A new roof is large investment and this fact deems them costly over time. In comparison, a metal roof can last 100 years. This saves thousands of dollars, as well as eases the hassle of going through routine roof replacements.
2. Asphalt can deteriorate rapidly and lose its’ pleasing appearance due to streaking, curling, and de-granulation. A metal roof has A 30 year fade resistant warranty on its paint application, allowing it to remain beautiful throughout its’ life.
3. While asphalt shingles are prone to blow off due to their inferior design, metal roots interlock on all four sides and pass UL 580 testing guaranteed at 120 mph.
4. When properly installed, a metal roof is maintenance free while asphalt shingles require routine and on-going maintenance.
5. A metal roof contains 25% recycled aluminum content, making it exceedingly eco-friendly. The same can’t be said for asphalt shingles as over 350 million tons of them are discarded in landfills every year.
6. While asphalt shingles bring little to no curb appeal when reselling your home, a metal roof can separate you from surrounding neighbors and significantly impact curb appeal in a positive way.
7. The resale value of an asphalt roofing system is zero. In comparison, according to Metal Roofing Alliance Magazine, the national resale value of a metal roof is 85.9%.
8. During warmer months, asphalt shingles noticeably increase air conditioning costs when compared to metal roofs, with which you decrease cooling costs by 20-25%. This is due to the fact that asphalt shingles absorb heat while metal roofs reflect it.
9. Asphalt roofing labor warranties are commonly prorated and rarely exceed 5 years while metal roofs are protected with a non-prorated warranty for as long as you own your home.
10. Asphalt manufacturers commonly don’t carry transferrable warranties on their products. A metal roof holds a 40-year transferrable warranty, at absolutely no cost.
11. Most asphalt shingles have a Class I Hail rating while metal holds a Class IV rating, the highest impact rating possible for hail.
12. Metal roofs are cheaper to install when considering just the next 20 years.
14. Asphalt roofs do not shed snow quickly enough, leading the way for the dangerous proposition of attempting to shovel your roof. Metal roofs shed snow quickly, so shoveling brings safety for homeowners.
For all you readers, what do you think about the debate between metal roofs versus asphalt shingles and what are your experiences? Please leave your comments below.
Here at Chase Construction North West Inc., we are very in tune with current roofing innovations and trends. Our crew is trained to skillfully install all types of roofing systems. Though there are many differing opinions on the advantages of one over the other, the right roofing system often ends up being determined by your needs and budget. Our project managers are knowledgable about all the choices, let us help you choose the one best for you today Puget Sound! We provide services in King County and Pierce County, along with major cities such as Seattle, Tacoma, Puyallup, Federal Way, Renton, Auburn, Des Moines and all of the surrounding cities. Contact us today by filling out our free estimate form or calling us at 253-445-8950.